Thursday, June 23, 2011

The loooooonnnnngggg process of my garden

The wild wild (before weeding)
My very first garden (in my first rental house in Sumner) was a pot garden (no, not MJ pot, pot pots) because I couldn't dig in the ground.  I had tomatoes and carrots and lettuce and that was about it.  And let me tell you, growing carrots in pots is not easy, and they weren't very big either.
So, when I bought my first house, I wanted to have an actual garden, you know, like, have plants in the ground.  Somewhere I have a pic of it; it was very....um, humble.  But I did manage to add some more veggies that year, and to make a long story short, I have sought to have a garden every year.  Sometimes my proverbial thumb is quite green--other times it's been brown and mushy.  One year I had nine tomato plants and half of them died because of the rain.  Ugh.
Last year was my first garden in this house, and I did not get good results (the rain again).  So this year I wanted to get smarter about gardening.  I did starts, which I've never done (and actually, next year I plan on starting in March or April and see if I can get my garden fully summer ready)
I'm ambitious
Then, after a few weeks, I transferred most of the starts into pots (to keep them warm) instead of right into the garden (because of...you guessed it, the rain).
Then we prepped the garden FULL ON this year.  We started with aerating the soil we brought in from last year.
We added a huge bag of vermiculite and 4 bags of compost.
And now, I'm just beginning to transplant from the pots into the ground.


My starts after a few weeks

The garden aerated and so nice and weed-free (for a little while)
David putting the compost down (on top of the vermiculite)


Raking it out
Let's hope this works.

No comments:

Post a Comment