Tuesday, June 7, 2011

The REAL Family Home Evening

Yes, this is normal
I was reading my wonderful friend Leslie's blog and she was talking about how she was going to "get real"--meaning, it is easier to "filter" our journal writing and our posterity will think we were always happy, always "had it together," and never EVER experienced extreme emotions.  Well, I guess tonight, I'm going to "get real" with you.
My kids haven't seen their dad since Sunday, and it's Tuesday night, because he is the principal of a middle school and the end of the year SUCKS for me.  He has been at band concerts and school board meetings and transition nights for entering 6th graders and sporting events and honor society dinners AND AND AND....and that's just for work!  I'm not counting calling stuff!  I hate not having him here, not just because I love him and want to spend time with him, but DUH, I need help! 
Very very very very tired baby


Last night's Family Home Evening was cleaning the boys' room, because it was a mine field of STUFF.  We listened to the Beatles as we cleaned...it was fairly successful but we didn't get to bed until almost 9 pm and David didn't come home until nearly 10.  It was very hard getting everyone to bed being so tired and so past their bedtimes. Good grief. 
"Busytown" game playing
So tonight I thought, I'll turn off the TV and have them play a nice board game together while I clean the kitchen (I am terrible at cleaning the kitchen at night because I just want to go to bed, and attempt to clean in the morning, the late morning).  You'd think no screen time would be a peaceful thing, right? WRONG.  Savvy was trying very hard to keep the peace, but Logan climbed on her and I'd hear her yell, "Get OFF me!!!!" over the desperate cries of Grey, who was ready to go to bed anyway.  Mathew was jumping around and quoting dinosaur facts and Logan was screaming at him to stop because it's annoying him.  Then Mathew goes off and whacks Logan on the back.  Logan screams at him louder.  Savvy yells at them both to be quiet.  Logan hits her with a conveniently placed teddy bear.  She grabs it and hits him harder.  Logan screams even louder.  Grey keeps crying. 
It is sooooooooo time for bed.
For all the parents who are really single out there, I cannot tell you how much I respect you.  
Leslie, this transcript of my "real night" is for you.  I love you. 

1 comment:

  1. Ahhhh-that is real and very perfect-as in a perfect family! Love you and school is almost over!!! Yeah!

    ReplyDelete