Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Finally! A Real Snow Day!

And....as I start to type, the lights flicker, so I'd better type faster.
It began to snow in Bonney Lake on Friday, and by Saturday, we had an inch or so where we are on the hill.  Then we got more that night, and we only had Sacrament meeting on Sunday (we didn't go at all because Logan is recovering from Croup). 
4 inches, BABY!!!!  (which really is a lot for our area)
It was a snowy Human Rights day on Monday.  Then school was cancelled on Tuesday.  Then we got DUMPED on last night, so it's Wednesday and my kids haven't been in school since Friday!  But today was a total amusement-park-level-of-fun day, because we've had enough snow to sled, build a snowman, and have a snowball fight. 
All six of us went out this morning and were the first on the hill to downsled with our toboggans.  Little Grey got cold fast, so David and Logan (who is still coughing) and Grey went back inside and I stayed out with Savvy and Mathew. 
We have all practically ODed on hot chocolate, and spiced cider, and I get the mom of the year award for dietary health by serving Mac n' cheese and hot dogs for lunch, followed by more hot chocolate and Twizzlers. 
While Grey was sleeping, David and I went for a LONG walk up our hill and all the way up Sky Island Drive (which we couldn't see from the main road for the fog).  I think it took us 20 minutes to walk up the 1/2 mile hill where it normally takes me between 7 to 10 minutes to run it.  But I bet we burned as many calories!  It was a good walk for us, and a nice break from the confines of our house. 
The dryer has been running most of the day to take care of all of the wet clothes we keep rotating.  And it's worth it!
Logan very very cold
After lunch, we built a snowman with our neighbors in their yard, seriously the biggest snowman I've ever been able to make!  When we were in Sumner on the valley floor we didn't get this much snow, and when it got warm enough to pack the snow it was just gone.  It used to make me sad, but this year we finally got the chance to make the snowman I've always wanted!  Plus it'll stick around even after it starts to rain (which it's expected to tomorrow).
David ran 5.5 miles on the treadmill, then came outside to say hi to us, but also sledded down the hill a few times, in this exact outfit, which makes it OK for me to say he's crazy
I know that this time of year is really really hard for people who have to drive in it because they can't get work off.  But that being said, I still love the snow.  It makes everything look beautiful and it makes the heat of summer that much more fun when it comes and it kills bugs and prepares the earth for a great gardening season. 







"Frank" with Mike, McKayla, and Noah and David


Mike named the snowman Frank, and we helped Frank deal with his "runny carrot nose"

Ice around the Magnolia
And it is truly fun no matter what my age is!  I think I spent more time outside than any of my kids today.......

1 comment: