Sunday, January 29, 2012

Icestorm






Light in the Brower household
The chain that guides the water down from the gutters

this is our lawn, even the grass blades are encased
Ok, this was my fault, I think.  I wanted a real winter so bad that I think my wishing fairies were a little too enthusiastic, and we not only had snow, but a thaw then a drop in temp so that all that snow turned to ice.  Ice around tree branches, ice on windshields, ice on the roads, ice covering telephone poles, ice that brought down telephone poles!  Most of the surrounding counties were without power for a few days, us included.  48 hours without power can feel like weeks!  We played a lot of games, put together jigsaw puzzles (the same one 2 days in a row) and read Harry Potter by lantern light and ate hot dogs and chili and crepes!  We lost power Wednesday night (January 18) and got it back Friday night while our neighbors were here (again, putting together a puzzle with us) and we did the dance of happiness!  Savvy and Mathew were doing fine by the second morning without power, but Logan was at his end of patience--he wanted Pink Panther and Pals on Netflix back.  I'm glad it was so cold out because we don't have a generator and we put our refrigerated items out on the deck in the snow and ice and it worked fine, but I think we need to get a generator for any time we lose power in not-so-cold weather.  And luckily we didn't lose any trees close to the house, but David and I are looking into taking some of them down now.   I think I'm ready for summer now.
Savvy's platypus family--one morning was entirely devoted to playdough (God bless playdough, by the way)

No comments:

Post a Comment