So much devastation has been going on around our planet. From the tsunami in Northern Japan to the recent tornadoes in the southern states, there is so much need, so many in pain and desperate for help and comfort. I sometimes feel like I can't do anything because I can't do much, but that is SO not true! Our Relief Society organized and held a bake sale to raise funds for the Humanitarian Aid of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, which donates 100% of all proceeds to disaster relief; no amount of the donations go to administration.
 |
There were SO many yummy treats....I must confess that I did donate money just to eat some of them
|
I love it when I read about the "Helping Hands" volunteers that are literally EVERYWHERE in world, many times the first on the scene to help with relief to areas devastated by natural disasters, or otherwise. And I feel so proud that I was a humble part of a little bake sale to help with that relief! And we made almost $600! It's times like these when my testimony is strengthened in the knowledge that we are all children of a loving Heavenly Father who allows us opportunities to help one another.
 |
The LDS Humanitarian Aid pamphlet showing how donations are used
|
 |
| Effie and Kim (holding Grey) |
The two days of the bake sale coincided with a community garage sale in a housing development up here where I live, and we advantageously placed ourselves in the thick of it. The weather on Friday was absolutely perfect! Warm, inviting, and we had yummy treats to offer the garage-salers, as well as cool water--and we didn't put price tags on anything, we just asked for donations, whatever they felt like giving, and they could take what they wanted. I think most people gave more that way because they knew it was going for a great cause.

The next day was rainy, total opposite weather-wise. But we still had more people come--and I'm glad we switched from cool water to hot cocoa and apple cider).

I think we had almost every member of our Relief Society help out in one way or another, and some people were there at the tent both days. When it was sunny, Logan just played at the park nearby and I had Grey in the car seat, or someone was holding him, and I spent most of the day there, and the next day I huddled with Grey under the tent and enjoyed conversation with a friend while we manned the booth.
It was truly a weekend well spent. I love service!
 |
| Shari, our fearless president |
 |
| Kim, a woman of many talents! |
 |
| Julie might not prefer that I added this photo of her, but it's the only one I have and she was too instrumental not to include! |
What a wonderful idea! With being so close to the tornadoes, this warms my heart. Are you up in Bonnie Lake now, was it the big Lakeland garage sale??
ReplyDeleteIt was the Sky Island (Bonney Lake) garage sale, and it was fun! The Lakeland garage sale is coming up, I think.
ReplyDelete